National visa for students (Section 16b Residence Act)

19.02.2021 - Article

General information

Foreign students who have been accepted by a German university (where applicable with a preparatory language course) or a preparatory college (Studienkolleg) can apply for a visa to study in Germany. You are advised to secure your admittance or acceptance from the university as early as possible.

- During your studies, you can take up student jobs to help cover your expenses.

- Upon completing your studies, you will have the opportunity to look for a job.

Required documents:

Please make sure to prepare two complete sets of the following documents collated in the order listed below and bring them to your appointment. Incomplete documentation may result in the rejection of your application.

To apply for a visa, you need the following documents (original with 2 copies each):

  • valid passport and two copies of the data page, if applicable previous passports
  • two biometric passport photos (not older than 3 months)
  • 2 fully completed application forms for national visas.

              Please fill in all questions in the application form  and provide the contact telephone number; please don't forget your signature!

Information in accordance with Articles 13 and 14 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) Acknowledgment of receipt of the General Data Protection Regulation

  • Proof of admittance to the study course/preparatory college (original and two (2) copies), including information on the language of instruction
  • Where available: Certificates of other academic qualifications (original and two (2) copies)
  • Curriculum vitae with one (1) extra copy
  • Letter of motivation with one (1) extra copy
  • Where not confirmed by the university in the admittance notification: Proof of the language skills in the language of instruction for the study course or the preparatory course (without a preparatory language course as a rule at least B2 in the language of instruction) (original and two (2) copies)
  • Proof of adequate financial means


    To stay in Germany the applicant must have at their disposal at least 861 € per month. Proof must be submitted with the application of financial means for at least one year, that is at least 10,332 € (for example, in the form of a blocked account or a formal undertaking by a third person to cover all costs).

    In the case of financing in the form of a blocked account: Open the blocked account in good time BEFORE you apply for a visa. When applying for a visa, only the official confirmation of the opening of the account including information on the amount paid in and the amount available per month will be accepted. A confirmation which does not include this information is not sufficient.

  • Proof of adequate health insurance cover
  • If as a student you want to take out statutory health insurance, you must bear in mind that this insurance can only begin when you take up residence in Germany and after enrolment. If you enter Germany beforehand, private health insurance must be taken out for the period prior to enrolment and registering for statutory health insurance. In its terms and conditions, travel health insurance can exclude protection if a long-term or permanent stay is planned. So-called incoming travel insurance can also contain such exclusions.
  • Acceptance for preparatory language course or internship


Note for spouses / civil partners from EU / EEA countries:

If your spouse / partner to whom you would like to move to Germany is not German, but a citizen of the EU / EEA states (person entitled to free movement), you do not need to provide proof of language proficiency. Please also present a current certificate of freedom of movement OR a confirmation of registration from your German place of residence, proof of work and a current certificate of earnings from your spouse (each with two copies).

Stand: Januar 2021

Top of page