Marriage in Germany

22.02.2024 - Article

Please NOTE: A visa for an intended marriage in Germany can only be granted if a certificate of intended marriage (“Anmeldung zur Eheschließung”) issued by the competent German Civil Registrar has been issued stating that a date for the wedding has been scheduled. It is therefore vital to check with the German Registrar’s Office in the town where you want to get married which documents have to be submitted in Germany in order to obtain this certificate.

Please make sure that you present all the documents applicable as per the checklist when taking your appointment at the Embassy. Failure to do so may result in our inability to process your application and you having to book a new appointment.

In order to apply for a visa for an intended marriage, it is sufficient to present a confirmation from the German Civil Registrar that this document has been applied for, the certificate of intended marriage may be submitted at a later date prior to visa stamping.

  • Valid passport (issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least another year as of date of visa application); passport must have at least two empty pages
  • VIDEX application form, declaration form and contact information form duly filled & signed
  • Personal covering letter explaining the exact purpose and duration of stay
  • Copy of the first and last page and all pages containing entry/exit stamps to Germany/ German visas of your passport (A4 size copy)
  • Copy of all data pages and pages containing entry stamps/visas to Cambodia of your fiancé/e’s passport (A4 size copy)
  • Copy of fiancé/e’s residence permit (“Aufenthaltstitel”) for Germany, if applicable
  • Verpflichtungserklärung by German sponsor
  • Certificate of residence (“Meldebescheinigung”) of the fiancé/e living in Germany, not older than 6 months
  • Proof of German knowledge (A1 level): “Start Deutsch 1” from Goethe-Institute or “Start Deutsch 1” of telc GmbH (The European Language Certificate) or “Grundstufe Deutsch 1” of the Austrian Language Diploma (ÖSD)

Please note that – under certain circumstances – there are exemptions from this requirement. If your spouse / partner to whom you would like to move to Germany is not German, but a citizen of the EU / EEA states (person entitled to free movement), you do not need to provide proof of language proficiency. Please also present a current certificate of freedom of movement OR a confirmation of registration from your German place of residence, proof of work and a current certificate of earnings from your spouse (each with two copies).

  • Certificate of intended marriage (“Anmeldung zur Eheschließung ”) issued by German CivilRegistrar, not older than 6 months OR confirmation from the German Civil Registrar that this document has been applied for
  • Copy of all documents submitted to the German Civil Registrar in order to obtain the certificate of intended marriage
  • For non-Cambodian citizens: proof of lawful residency in Cambodia
  • 2 passport pictures according to biometric specifications, not older than 6 months
  • Visa fee

Please prepare one application set with the above-mentioned documents and bring all your original certificates along. Please DO NOT staple any documents.

  • In case a document is not written in German or English, it has to be submitted together with notary attested English or German translation.
  • Please note that the German Missions reserve the right to ask for additional documents or to initiate a further investigation of certificates.
  • As your application will also be forwarded to the competent immigration authorities in Germany, processing will take at least three months.
  • In case of visa approval, you will be requested to present a travel health insurance.

Submission of the above-mentioned documents does not guarantee that a visa will be granted.

Top of page