Student visa

22.02.2024 - Article

Please make sure that you present all the documents applicable as per the checklist when taking your appointment at the Embassy. Failure to do so may result in our inability to process your application and you having to book a new appointment.

  • Valid passport (issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least another year as of date of visa application) with at least two empty pages
  • Application form & declaration (in accordance with Section 54 of the Residence Act) duly signed
  • Copy of your passport’s data page (A4 size copy)
  • Statement of purpose / Motivation letter
  • Proof of admittance to the study course/preparatory college (original and 2 copies) including information on the language of instruction
  • Where not confirmed by the German University in the admission notification: Proof of the language skills in the language of instruction for the study course or the preparatory course (without a preparatory language course as a rule at least B2-level in the language of instructions) (original and 2 copies). Only certificates approved by German government will be accepted (such as Goethe Institut, ÖSD, IELTS, TOEFL). Do NOT provide “exemption letters” or “Language of Instruction Certificates!”
  • Certificates of all academic qualifications you have previously obtained (original and 2 copies)
  • Curriculum vitae (CV)
  • Proof of financial means to cover the costs for the time of your studies by one of the following documents:
  1. confirmation of a German / EU scholarship / stipend or
  2. “Verpflichtungserklärung” (formal obligation letter) by sponsor living in Germany or
  3. blocked account for the first year of your stay, amounting to 11,208 euros.

When applying for visa, you can provide evidence that you are able to meet your living costs by opening a blocked bank account. You have free choice of provider. Information on providers that offer this service worldwide is available on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.


You cannot withdraw more than 934 euros per month from a blocked account. This is applicable from 01.01.2023. However, especially at the beginning of your stay, you might be required to spend more than 934 euros in a month (e.g. to pay a deposit when renting a room or an apartment). It is therefore highly recommended to make sure that you have access to sufficient financial means according to your individual Situation.

If the university charges tuition fees: Proof of funds equivalent to the tuition fees for the first two semesters and the fee structure (detailed overview of fees). This can be either of the following:

- Confirmation of payment issued by the university OR

- Education loan OR

- Unblocked deposit added to your blocked account (i.e. deposited in addition to the 11,208 euros mentioned above)

  • 2 passport pictures according to biometric specifications, not older than 6 months
  • Visa fee
  • Travel health insurance valid on arrival in Germany to the date of enrollment at the University (mentioned in your admission letter) (approx. 3 months).

In case you receive a stipend from public funds:
please provide ONE of the following:

• Proof of a private German health insurance which fulfills the below mentioned requirements and starts at your tentative travel date


• Proof of a public German health insurance, which consists of a letter from your German healthcare provider, and additionally a travel health insurance from your travel date up to the starting date of the public German health insurance.


• Proof of a private foreign health insurance mentioning the specific policy you chose which fulfills the below mentioned requirements and starts at your tentative travel date

When does a health insurance meet the requirement of being equivalent to a German public health insurance?

• No limit to the reimbursement in case of sickness

• If the insured person becomes sick, no deductible higher than 300 € per year can be demanded

• Preexisting conditions must be included

• No clause for termination regarding the insured person reaching a certain age, change of residence permit or loss of residence Permit

• The Insurance cover cannot have any time limit (or needs to be automatically renewed)

Top of page